Sunday, March 3, 2013

Guiltless "junk food!"

Here are some of my favorite vegetarian/vegan friendly go-to recipes when I'm craving something bad for me that won't break my calorie bank!



My Guiltless "Chili" dog-
1 veggie hot dog (Morning Star 50cal)
1 slice of 100 calorie wheat bread slightly toasted (so its 50cal)
1/3 cup of vegetarian chili (about 65cal)
(I use a little vegan cheese like Daiya, or you can use a low-cal regular cheese, and onion on top)
Ends up only being around 170 calories verses around 450 and tastes like the real thing!

Guiltless Enchiladas-
Corn tortillas (Guerrero 40cal each)
Enchilada sauce (Old El Paso 20cal per 1/4c)
Filling-
black beans (50cal per 1/4c)
corn (30cal per 1/4c)
bell pepper (5cal per 1/8c)
onion (3cal per 1/8c)
Jalapenos (2cal per 1/8c)
Mix all with a little enchilada sauce, taco seasoning, cumin,
and salt and pepper to taste.
Top with enchilada sauce and black olives (25cal per 1/4c)
(you can add cheese if you want, I use vegan cheese if I do to make them healthier)
Ends up being around 130 calories per enchilada compared to around 250-300 calories!

Vegan Pizza-

Whole wheat pizza crust (about 100cal per slice)
-I buy dough and stretch myself
Tomato sauce of choice (around 45cal per 1/2c)
Vegan cheese  (90 cal per 1/4c)
-I suggest Daiya it stretches/melts well and I mix pepper jack with cheddar
Top With-
mushrooms (2cal per 1/8c)
bell peppers (5cal per 1/8c)
onions (3cal per 1/8c)
olives (25cal per 1/4c)
Ends up being around 215 calories per slice compared to a pepperoni pizza of around 300 calories! 

Vegan Quesadilla- 
Wheat Tortilla- Trader Joe's Brand brand 60cal
Daiya Cheese (cheddar wedge)- About 45cal 1/2 ounce
Bac-o-bits- 8cal per 1/2tbs
A couple dashes of Franks Hot Sauce and there's a delicious quesadillla for about 115 calories rather than 350! 
  

A Few Other Ideas- but not quite as Low-Cal : ) 



1 comment:

  1. I read in another article that junk food can be as addictive as cocaine, this could explain why it's so hard to quit

    ReplyDelete

Please no comments from anti-veg people. This blog is for veggies and aspiring veggies only. Thank You.